We are pleased to announce that ChemDoodle 6 is available. Included are hundreds of new features and improvements (main list at bottom).
While our competition works hard to charge customers higher prices, we work hard to provide high quality tools at very affordable prices. Our goal is to focus on helping scientists and students, so we support Mac OS X and Linux equally to Windows and support academia equally to industry. This model has allowed us to grow ChemDoodle into one of the most popular chemical software tools available, with a huge user base in over 80 countries. You give us the inspiration to continue to innovate and provide the best chemical software solutions. We couldn’t have done this without your support. So please continue to tell your students, friends and colleagues about ChemDoodle. Thank you!
New features in ChemDoodle 6:
- IUPAC naming with over 20 options!
- Carbon nanotube and prism builders. Both zigzag and armchair nanotubes can be built. These tools quickly produce 3D geometries.
- Auto updating labels can now be attached to molecules, so they will update with IUPAC names, molecular formulas and more.
- Mac OS X Quick Look plugin. Easily preview all your chemical files in Finder just by pressing the space key.
- More Windows support, including a more powerful tool for supporting Windows filetype associations with the option to unassign types, support for the MDLCT and MDLSK clipboard formats for copying and pasting between a wider array of chemical applications, and greatly improved OLE support to allow for double-clicking to edit structures.
- More glassware, including a new organized glassware window. You can now also remove liquid from the templates.
- Significantly improved graphics. Graphics in ChemDoodle were already very good, but we took a look at all the graphics at very high scales and resolutions. We have made sure to focus on all the little details. Bond join edge cases have been improved. Hashes are now auto centered, making recessed bonds and dashed bonds look much nicer. Other bond types have been scrutinized for the best aesthetics. Convex hull algorithms have been built for better placement of bonds around labels. Cis double bonds will now prefer the inside edge. Circles over charges now only surround the number. Aromatic ring circles now meld to the shape of aromatic circles. Arrows look nicer. You won’t find better graphics in any other application.
- 3D coordinate generation.
- A new 180° chain angle clean option for easily creating Lewis structures and figures with 90° angles.
- Complex embedded ring systems (like corannulene) now clean very well in 2D.
- Added resolution controls to the Elemental Analysis widget.
- Meso stereochemistry support.
- An advanced formatted text system for the system clipboard. You can now copy and paste your molecular formulas, IUPAC names and others into word processing applications with formatting intact.
- Many other minor, but useful features: option for the delete key to decrement bonds, nominal mass counter, improvements to the TLC Plate widget, improvements to arc placement previews, alt and shift now modify attribute placement just like placing bonds, improved file chooser previews for data files, more templates for the Templates widget, and more.
- Squashing of dozens of bugs.