We are pleased to introduce version 6 of our ChemDoodle 3D software. This update is free for all ChemDoodle subscriptions, Lifetime and Site licenses. Licenses are as little as $15, and we have a free trial available at: https://www.chemdoodle.com/3d
Executive SummaryChemDoodle 3D v6 is a massive update to ChemDoodle 3D. Included are dozens of new advanced graphics options, including outlines, screen space ambient occlusion, depth of field, additional after effects and more. This allows you to create all kinds of art from your scientific models. ChemDoodle 3D v6 also now automatically supports high-DPI interface scaling on Windows and Linux (macOS Retina scaling was already functional). This update is recommended for all users.
- Full automatic support for high-DPI interface scaling on Windows and Linux (macOS Retina scaling was already functional).
- A new deferred shader implemenation allowing for many new advanced graphics effects. Techniques include screen space ambient occlusion (SSAO) for ultra-realistic shading, two different outlining algorithms including artistic stroking, depth of field and anti-aliasing. Dozens of options for the deferred shader. Please see chapter 12 of the ChemDoodle 3D User Guide for an in-depth discussion on using these techniques to create graphics.
- New after effects. Now including Blur (Gaussian), Blur (Kuwahara), Blur (Median), Dilate, Edge Detection, Pixelize, Posterize, Sharpen. Dozens of options are available for the after effects. Please see chapter 12 of the ChemDoodle 3D User Guide for an in-depth discussion on using these effects to create graphics.
- A new feature to center the camera around the current selection. The center camera button will now center around selections if a selection exists, otherwise the entire scene will be centered.
- A new feature to center the camera around a single atom.
- We have restored the ability to customize image output, including scale and transparency. There should not be any further issues on standard graphics cards with outputting custom images, but if you do, you can always turn on Compatibility mode in the Preferences window under the Files tab in the Images section.
- Warning messages will now appear if your current setup does not support OpenGL 2 or 2.1.
- Surfaces can be saved and loaded in ChemDoodle JSON. Surfaces can now be exported to ChemDoodle Web Components output.
- Fixed copy and paste issues of images from ChemDoodle 3D into other applications. Images with transparent backgrounds can now be copied to the system clipboard.
- Fixed issue where stopping animations would not update the picker cache, causing issues with selection.
- Fixed issue where a warning message displayed regardless of whether a warning was present when using the Optimize menu items.
- Resolved issue on macOS where saving files and images after already having saved a file or image, would cause the format chooser to be uncancellable.